Sunday

My Dad

I went to Angie LA a couple weekends ago and I met my family for the first time that I can remember. It was my dad’s side of my family. I was amazed that we had so much in common.

The coolest part of the trip (the whole thing was amazing); but one particular part was when I was hanging out with my uncle Tab. He took me around town to my fathers grave.  This will be forever a great moment in my life.  I was amazed at how affected I was at that moment.

A little history;

My father died when I was 3 and I do not remember him. My mom never remarried and she never talked about him. She just raised us up as a single mother.  I didn't start asking questions about my dad until I was about 16 and my mom (doing the best she could) didn't elaborate on who he was.  So I just let it go. I knew that my father died when I was a little girl but that's all I knew.

I was at this point inwardly searching for answers. I was looking at my family that I knew and I was wondering why am I so different from them? Why don’t I look like anyone?

I started asking my mom these questions and she gave me a number to call my aunt Gerry because my grandma died and they were trying to get in contact with me.

I was talking to my aunt and we had a lot in common it was weird and exciting at the same time!

I was really excited about seeing her and the rest of the family.

So many things were going through my mind... Will they look like me?  How do they act? Do we have a connection?

Back to reality;

We did look alike and I am so excited about that. We also had the same favorites ie: food, drinks, movies, colors,...

I also found out a lot of information about my dad and who he was. I found out that he played football and was a really good player. I found out that he was a hard worker and very giving.

When I went to his grave site I was overwhelmed with joy and sadness at the same time. I was filled with joy because it was proof (besides the fact that I here) that this man existed and sadness because I don’t remember who this man was.

So this trip beneficial for me and I am glad that I went.


So here’s to family

Olivia Myles

No comments:

Post a Comment