Monday

Response to Chapter 3

As I was reading chapter 3 I kept thinking about the movie critics and how they have a strong effect for me on whether I will see a movie in the theater or if I’ll wait for it to come out on DVD.  The movie critics are just doing their job, which rhetorically would be to sway my view on a movie out in the theater.  Using this movie analogy, the viewers review or the non professional critic, my peers, also affect whether I will see a movie.  This criticism is crucial is the functionality of our culture.  We need critics to decipher what we agree with or disagree with.  It also helps us focus on what is most important to us.   

Chapter 3 talks about the different methods of how to criticize text, how to get to the “so, what?”  This question so what is an important question in rhetorical methods because it answers why we should care.  It helps us determine if the text in question is worth our time to follow, or keep up with. According to the author, once the text has been found, the critic must then determine the context. The text will then be examined to determine who holds the power and what it all means by putting the text in a new context or exploring different situations that could apply to the text. This is a great way to pick apart the text and determine the “so, what? When you are able to evaluate a text critically you put the power back into your own hands.  This allows you to create an objective opinion about the text not based on feeling but on fact. 

No comments:

Post a Comment